Friday, February 13, 2009

#244 Public Transportation


This cable ferry crosses the Lahave River every 15 minutes regardless of the weather. Even ice doesn't stop it. Before the 1900's the ferry was a large row boat that took horse and wagons to the other side. Then in the early 1900's a barge with a tugboat was used to move cars. With in the last 20 years, a cable ferry that can carry buses, transport trucks, cars and farm equipment was put in. Some people are nervous of it but I love to get out on deck, feel the breeze on my face and snap pictures!

11 comments:

  1. Brrr! Those chunks of ice make this photograph very cold and shivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto: makes me cold too. nice compossition and detail in the larger view. It looks like a barge probly very safe. what area or state is this? Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful picture for the theme - I have never seen one of these (except in the movies)! Love the moody feel to the image as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy did you snap a beauty there, these ferries are disappearing in Australia, they should be preserved as a tribute to a slower time of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo. It will be interesting to revisit some of these places with summer photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this photo is great. I feel cold looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very peaceful to me with the gray colors, the mist and the floating ice. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like this photo, the composition and the dreaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, the fog does give it a dreamy feel. Nice flat water too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks a tad chilly. I love boat rides.

    Bo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shot with the ice chunks and lovely fog. And what a good one for the theme. We ferry across the Ottawa River to get to the cottage but it isn't a cable ferry.

    ReplyDelete